Accurate Placement is a premier job search agency in Phoenix and as such, our goal is to help the right employer find the right employee. We are also committed to helping our applicants find the right career and company for their skills. One important tool to finding and securing the right job is to have the right resume. It is important that your resume stands out for positive reasons. Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind:
- Make sure your resume is just the right length. If it is too short, it will look like you don’t have enough experience, but if it is too long, hiring managers might not even read it. A general guideline is that your resume should be about one page.
- Don’t use fancy font. Stick with something plain and easy to read.
- Use bold text to help important information stand out. Just be careful not to go overboard with this. Too much bold will make your resume harder to read.
- Tailor your resume to the job you are applying for. If you have a variety of job skills and employment types, stick to using the ones that are most relevant to the job you are applying for.
- Explain any gaps in employment history. If you took time off to raise children, go back to school, care for an elderly relative, don’t leave this gap up to the hiring manager’s imagination. Briefly explain why you were unemployed for this time period with a description such as “family leave to care for young child.” Just don’t make this part too lengthy. A brief one sentence description is fine.
- Don’t use any tricks to get your resume to the top of the pile. We have heard some ridiculous stories and suggestions to get your resume noticed. Everything from pink paper to glitter font. These gimmicks only serve to undermine your experience. Let your qualifications speak for themselves with accurate descriptions of your skill and employment history.
Once you have a stand out resume crafted, Accurate Placement can help you find the right career. Visit us today to view open job listing and find the right fit for you.